SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#139982 - 10/04/05 01:01 PM suzuki 6'.2" accoustic piano
tazar Offline

Loc: san diego, CA, USA
all,
Costco online is selling this piano for $8K.
It is litle better than Hal Davis piano. The marketting dept claims that it is as good as a kawai piano or yamaha. It just does not have the name. Does anyone have an opinion. I might conside ordering one for my kid.

Tony

#139983 - 10/04/05 01:12 PM Re: suzuki 6'.2" accoustic piano
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Tony, Suzuki has owned Hammond for a while, and the new stuff I saw at the Summer NAMM was really impressive. I've been using an XB-2 for years. The company has been in the business of manufacturing musical instruments for centuries (violins..the Suzuki method, etc. I'd seriously look at one. (Plus, they make a pretty good motorcycle! Got one!

Russ

#139984 - 10/04/05 05:50 PM Re: suzuki 6'.2" accoustic piano
tazar Offline

Thanks Captain Ross. I'll make sure I'll attend the road show this coming Saturday and tery the six footer accoustic piano.

Tony

#139985 - 10/05/05 05:02 AM Re: suzuki 6'.2" accoustic piano
zuki Offline

The Suzuki grand is made in Dongbei, China. I'll reserve comment.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#139986 - 10/05/05 05:31 AM Re: suzuki 6'.2" accoustic piano
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
You may find some useful information at the following site:
http://www.ptg.org/resources-manufacturers.php

#139987 - 10/05/05 06:07 AM Re: suzuki 6'.2" accoustic piano
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Tony,

To a certain extent you can generalize about piano brands. From my music store days Yamaha made a pretty consistantly good piano all across the line. Kimball pianos usually were dreadful.

The problem is that piano one that comes off the line can sound very different from piano two even though they are the same make and model. Much depends on the regulation and voicing. Usually this is done by hand by real PEOPLE. The ear and skill of the individule can make a poor piano sound pretty good or it can make a good piano sound pretty bad.

The model within the same brand can make an extreame difference also. Brand X's 5'2" baby grand might be pretty good while their 6'0' could be dreadful.

My point is you really need to play THE piano you are buying. Not just the same make and model but THE piano you are buying.

It is different with an arranger. One Tyros should sound the same as another both coming right out of the box.

Tom

Tom

#139988 - 10/05/05 06:44 AM Re: suzuki 6'.2" accoustic piano
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by tazar:
all,
Costco online is selling this piano for $8K.
It is litle better than Hal Davis piano. The marketting dept claims that it is as good as a kawai piano or yamaha. It just does not have the name. Does anyone have an opinion. I might conside ordering one for my kid.

Tony

OK, so let me get this straight. You are actually considering paying thousands of dollars for an acoustic grand piano from a store that also sells lawnmowers, frozen pizzas, and tires? I mean seriously? Please let all of us off the hook now and tell us you are joking!

It is a pity that acoustic pianos, especially grand pianos have become a disposable hunk of wood and metal like most everything else these days. What I mean is, the materials used to build this level of piano, the poor design and lack of true craftsmanship leads to create an instrument that has the shine and impressiveness of the real thing but has nowhere near the life expectancy of an actual finely manufactured musical instrument.

That being said, I realize that we all aren't made of money where we can spend tens of thousands of dollars on a brand name concert grand piano (I know I don't have that kind of money), but you can buy a baby grand of similar quality like the one you are referring to from any real acoustic piano store for probably less than the price you have quoted. At least you will be purchasing from people who know that an acoustic piano has strings inside and needs to be tuned on occasions, etc. And they will have acoustic piano technicians working for them or at least personally know the technicians in your area.

The fact is, buying a low quality grand piano will cost you as much or more as a decent grand in the long run because of the service issues that will arise.

Having a real grand piano in the house is a wonderful thing especially for the kids. And if you really want one and don’t want to spend the $15000.00 or so it will take to get something of good quality, at least go to a real piano store where you will benefit from their knowledge and their ability to offer support on the instrument if and when needed.

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 10-05-2005).]

#139989 - 10/05/05 11:55 AM Re: suzuki 6'.2" accoustic piano
BillErickson Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Tony, Suzuki has owned Hammond for a while, and the new stuff I saw at the Summer NAMM was really impressive...(Plus, they make a pretty good motorcycle! Got one!

Russ

Suzuki, Yamaha, what's with these Japanese companies that make musical instruments *and* motorcycles? What's the connection?

So when is Kawasaki coming out with an arranger keyboard? Maybe it will have 76 keys!!

#139990 - 10/05/05 12:55 PM Re: suzuki 6'.2" accoustic piano
tazar Offline

WDMcM,
I respectfully disagree with U. I have visited several piano dealers in this regard. The last one, Artistic Pianos, offered me a Harlett, Davis & Co 6 feet grand. It is MSRP'd for $12,500. the owner offered it to me for $7995 + 10 years warranty and free delivery. I inquired about the sound board, strings and hammer action. As it turned out that these parts were all imported from Germany and some other European countries. The owner told me that Yamaha, Kawai, Petroff, and even Bosondorfer import some parts too. Yamaha and Kawai are assembled in Indonisia. These days you are paying for the name. You would never know who the actual manufactur is. Take for example Sony TVs. Open the TV up and you'll find out that most of the electronic parts are samsung. SUSUKI and Harlet, Davis & CO are assembled at factories in China one block away from each other. Their is one advantage of the suzuki grand over the Harlet, Davis. 1- it is 2" longer, and 2- supported by Costco with and excellent return policy.
Go ahead spend $22k on a yamaha Grand or Kawai. I don't even likemy neighbour kawai sound att all. It always sound doll and empty.

Now I want to thank you all for your $0.02.
I hope I make the right decision.

Tony

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online